Back to: ASP.NET Web API Tutorials For Begineers and Professionals
Introduction to ASP.NET Identity
ASP.NET Identity is a modern membership system that allows you to perform all required membership operations in your web application such as Registration, Authentication, and Authorization. It was designed to replace the previous ASP.NET Membership systems. It can be used with all ASP.NET frameworks: ASP.NET MVC, Web API, etc.
So, in simple words, we can say that the ASP.NET Identity API is used for managing user credentials. It replaces the older ASP.NET Membership System.
Features of ASP.NET Identity
- Log in, Log off.
- Add, Update, and Delete users.
- External Authentication (Facebook, Google, Twitter, Microsoft).
- Locking and Unlocking a user account.
- Restricting access to sections of the website based on given roles.
- Locking a user account after several failed login attempts.
- Configure password policy.
- Password reset feature.
ASP.NET Identity is based on OWIN and Entity Framework Code first.
Basic knowledge of:
These tutorials are meant for beginners and professionals who want to learn ASP.NET Identity. In the next article, I am going to discuss ASP.NET Identity Architecture in detail.